Tuesday, September 25, 2007

10 Tips to protect personal information

10 Tips to Protect Personal Information
  1. Make sure to use anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software.
  2. Read privacy policies so you know how your information is protected.
  3. Set up your browsers and operating systems to stop pop-ups and cookies.
  4. Use more than one email address and use one just for personal communication.
  5. Look for third-party seals or certification to make sure the company is trustworthy.
  6. Back up important files.
  7. Use email addresses and information that don't identify you personally on Web sites that you don't trust.
  8. Change password on regular basis
  9. Use email encryption
  10. Log in anonymously or use anonymizing of free ID Web sites to generate your ID

Web link: http://www.truste.org/consumers/consumer_tips.php

I have personally not used many of these precaution's so that I don't become a victim online. I do use anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall to protect my PC. I have never read privacy policies to see how the companies are protecting my personal information. I don't use any type of operating system to slow down or stop pop-ups. I only use one email address, but maybe now I will open another one. I have not checked a Web site for a seal to make sure that they are trustworthy. I do back up important files. I need too start using a email address that don't give out my personal information on Web site's that I don't trust. I should change my password more often. I do use email encryption. I will start to use Web sites that I anonymously use my ID. By not doing half of all these precautions I did not realize how much trouble I could be getting myself into. I will start to use more of these precautions to help protect my information on the Internet.

No comments: